Saturday, September 8, 2012

A Quieter Day

Theories abound when ringers don’t catch many birds, or in some cases no birds at all. This morning when I looked North, South, East and then West from Rawcliffe Moss at 0615, I was surrounded by low lying grey cloud and the omens weren’t good. Although it stayed dry the cloud didn’t break except for a fifteen minute spell about 8am, and it was only then that there seemed to be sign of just a little migration. 

By 10 o’ clock I had caught 20 new birds with no sign of any more to come so decided to call it a day at 16 Chaffinch, 2 Willow Warbler, 1 Goldfinch and 1 Greenfinch. I caught four Chaffinches at first light, a suggestion of roost dispersal, with the remaining dozen soon after the brief brightness about 8am. In all I estimated 40+ heading over and then in a southerly direction in a good three hours, with a single Siskin and 4 Lesser Redpoll interspersed with the Chaffinches. 

The first Willow Warbler caught was a small female, and with a wing length of 60mm, the size of a Chiffchaff. 

Willow Warbler

Another 3J Goldfinch today with absolutely no sign of moult into an adult plumage. 

Goldfinch
 
As I drove off-site at 1045 I came across a huge but distant mixed flock of c300 finches, many of which were Greenfinches and perhaps the origin of the few caught here lately, like today’s young male. 

Greenfinch

There was brief interlude of Meadow Pipit movement this morning with about 10/12 singles arriving from the gloomy east and then heading west. Otherwise, and excepting the finches mentioned earlier, “vis” was zero. 

Other birds, 2 Tawny Owls calling at dawn, likewise a single Buzzard calling but not seen, 18 Snipe, 1 Great-spotted Woodpecker, 30 Swallow, 10 House Martin, 1 Sparrowhawk, 2 Blackcap and a single Jay, a white rump disappearing into the plantation. 

Jay

I’m ready for a lie-in tomorrow, but who knows there may be a spot of birding at some time in the day. If so log in Sunday for more news from Another Bird Blog.

9 comments:

grammie g said...

Hey Phil...No I didn't jump of the edge of the world, but at times grrr!
I am not really in that bad of a mood I am just down right frustrated..I may have to blog about some of it, so be
forewarned ; } !
You ..have a quieter day?... I thought everyday was one for you..just strolling about the countryside, practicing your counting skills,and catching harmless birds lol!
Well today your a winner..I love that Jay shot!!: }
Your Maine or(main) friend ..you choose lol!! : }}}}}
Grace

Kay L. Davies said...

I love your first photo, Phil, and also the greenfinch.
The Jay is great. We have grey-brown Jays in the Rocky Mountains, known as Whiskeyjacks for some mountain-man reason. They're very bold and cheeky, and have been known to steal sandwiches when hikers or skiers take a lunch break.
K

Gail Dixon said...

The color of the willow warbler is so interesting!

Carole M. said...

always interesting posts from you Phil, I enjoy the photos and your catches appear remarkably calm; there's obviously technique in action there. I've commented before I'm sure about your header-flycatcher photograph. Were you close for that shot? It's really a top capture. Also liked the Jay, I think it's the first time I've seen one on the birding blogs

Rohrerbot said...

Quieter? Maybe. But I've never seen a Jay like that before. Such a tiny bird in that first photo. Still incredible finds....for me at least.

Vores have said...

Nice pictures showing of "the little birds" - WAU I say to the last.
Hanne Bente

Nefertiti said...

se qu ils sont beaux !

Anni said...

I have never seen a jay marked with this coloration before. It's so pretty. And your willow warbler is a beautiful rich pea green...also marked beautifully!!

Enjoyed all your photos Phil!!!

Thanks again, for linking up at the Bird D'Pot weekend meme!!

Unknown said...

Really a beautiful line of birds!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Related Posts with Thumbnails