Thursday, July 19, 2012

Shorty Post

I was hoping for a harrier at Pilling today after the wind dropped and the overnight and then early rain made for a warm, muggy morning fit for a raptor or two – maybe the Montagu’s down from the rainy Pennine fells? 

No harriers appeared but patrolling the sea wall briefly was an early season Short-eared Owl, down from the fells. It looked like a juvenile, very bright and orangey in the wings, even for a “shorty”. The owl was in the air for a minute or two before it dropped into a distant ditch and I didn’t see it again. Two other raptors today were an obligatory Kestrel, and then a Peregrine which came from the Knott End direction before heading inland as then in the distance, it turned right and south again. 

Short-eared Owl

Otherwise there’s little news to report: 2 Blackcap, 2 Reed Warbler, 18 Linnet, 8 Greenfinch, 2 Pied Wagtail, 6 Meadow Pipit, 2 Corn Bunting, 6 Skylark, 1 Common Sandpiper, 2 Little Grebe, 3 Grey Heron. 

Greenfinch

A large count of Curlew for 19th July –over 700 birds Lane Ends/Pilling Water. Still low numbers of Swallows this morning with less than 15 birds around and then a sudden but definite west and south movement of 30+ individuals about 11am. 

Back home I turned my attention to the garden where Goldfinches come and go, and at last a few juveniles. Out of 7 Goldfinch caught in a few hours, six were “3J” type and one an earlier season but juvenile female losing its mottled 3J markings. A couple more juvenile Greenfinch caught too, and fingers crossed, no sign of the dreaded thrichomonosis in the garden this year. 

Goldfinch - "3J"

8 comments:

Rohrerbot said...

Whoa!!!! Nice shot of the Short Ear Owl. I am not worthy. Do you know that I'll find every Great Horned Owl and their owlets? Hummingbirds....no problem. But as for the other owls....major issues over here. I think they can be looking me straight in the face while I'm birding and I still won't see them.....but Great Horned....they fly right in front of me. I'm not complaining but I think when I do find a short earred or pygmy owl, I will faint:)

Isidro Ortiz said...

Bonita captura del Verderon comun.Saludos

Gary Jones said...

Great shot of the SEO Phil, still need to see one of these!!

Carole M. said...

the short-eared owl a nice sighting; to me it would be! The raptors, another day perhaps. You're certainly out there amongst them all; it's only a matter of time

Russell Jenkins said...

There great shots. I'd love to see a young owl out and about on a fence like that. Must suit the atmosphere you described.

Mary Howell Cromer said...

That Short Ear Owl image is just way too wonderful Phil!
And now to your new header/banner image.
What a stunning image, it is just glorious in every way imaginable.
I think this is one of the best images that I have ever seen in quality, colour, contrast, the whole thing, just superb~

joanne said...

I love to watch birds, altho I am not as 'professional' as you seem to be...your pics are super, espec. those incredible 'header birds'.....what and where are these?

Millhouse Photography said...

Hi Phil

Great to see the Shortie at this time of year and as with you, no sign of the 'trico' this year either, thankfully.

Related Posts with Thumbnails