Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Other Moss

Today I had to go up to Kendal for my car service so popped into Leighton Moss RSPB nature reserve near Silverdale. I’m not a great fan of nature reserves, I prefer to go out and find birds myself, but maybe once or twice a year I will go to Leighton Moss which has breeding Marsh Harriers, Bearded Tit and Bittern, to name a few of the specialities. Anyway it was a chance to do a bit of photography where the birds aren’t too shy of approaching the hides and I persuaded that emblematic Lancashire bird the Lapwing to provide me with a new blog header for a while.

During my short visit I noticed that lots of the summer migrants were in: singing Blackcaps and Willow Warblers seemed everywhere I walked, with one or two of both Sedge Warbler and Reed Warbler striking up their chatter in the reeds. At least three Marsh Harriers and two Buzzards put in brief appearances but kept a long way from the two hides I visited.

I grabbed a few pictures to post for today but I hope I can get back to the real mosses of Pilling and Rawcliffe soon.

Grey Heron

Grey Heron

Gadwall

Marsh Harrier

Teal

Lapwing


Back to normal tomorrow I hope.

8 comments:

Johnny Nutcase said...

great shots, lots of good birds - love the grey and the lapwing :)

James said...

Lovely lapwing photos.

Mary Howell Cromer said...

The Heron is grande, yet the Lapwing is utterly remarkable~

Redzlan aka Tabib said...

Great (Lapwing) header picture.!

Larry said...

Beautiful backlit shot of the Grey Heron Phil, and your iridescent Lapwing photos are amazing!

Unknown said...

Love those shots!
But especially that Lapwing. Ain't he gorgeous?!

Stuart Price said...

Ah, Leighton Moss. Haven't been there for a while, have to say I always enjoyed going there even back in the 80's when there were often no birds......

Nice Marsh Harrier!

Animor said...

Cool shots, your photos looks beautiful, love the water formation where the duck is swimming.

Related Posts with Thumbnails