Sunday, July 21, 2013

Sunday Morning Sights

A bird wasn't the initial sighting this morning. Instead it was a hitch-hiker heading home from a Saturday night party. He didn't appear to be carrying bins and 'scope so I gave a cheery wave then stepped on the gas.

Next was a Roe Deer standing in a field alongside Head Dyke Lane, the main A588, where on a quiet Sunday morning I would normally expect to see a hunting Barn Owl. I slowed the car, wound the window down and reached for the camera but the deer had turned and already hi-tailed it towards a small copse. There was a Barn Owl near Cockerham but it too turned tail and disappeared over the fields before the camera could be readied. 

A good selection of waders awaited at Conder although it took some time to round them all up from the pool and the creeks. The Spotted Redshank of late continues to change its dusky coat into something more suited to blending with the greys of winter, the present mix of new and old feathers a study in wader moult. What a puzzle bird this could be for an inexperienced watcher without a field guide? Apologies for the poor picture, water reflections and digital cameras don't work well together.

Spotted Redshank

Common Sandpipers reached a round dozen today, most of them in the roadside creek where they vied for attention with 4 Dunlin, 1 Greenshank, 50+ Redshank, 3 Curlew, 20 Lapwing and 6 Oystercatcher. 

Oystercatcher

The elusive Green Sandpiper reappeared briefly on the far side of the pool while 3 Snipe worked their way around the muddy edges. Two Little Egret and 2 Grey Heron were in residence with an increase to 8 Teal and the now ever present Goldeneye. 

Little Egret

There were 4 Stock Doves feeding at the roadside again this morning. The species is something of an early morning speciality here, unlike the closely related and commonplace Wood Pigeon and the less so Collared Dove, the two never making it into notebook entries for here. 

At Glasson village there seemed to be more Coot than of late, my count of 32 pointing to an autumnal and post breeding influx to a site which regularly holds 150+ of the species. I found some recently fledged Swallows, youngsters via the invisible-from-above nest lodged under the road bridge which crosses the keepered lock. Boats regulalrly pass to and fro between the yacht basin and the dock, eventually into the River Lune or Morecambe Bay beyond. 

The Swallows were so young I can only think they fledged from the nest this morning while sleepy Glasson slumbered.

Glasson Dock
 
Barn Swallow

Barn Swallow

Barn Swallow

Don't forget to "click the pics". Join Another Bird Blog very soon for more sleepy town news and pictures.

Linking today to World Bird Wednesday.

26 comments:

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Hi Phil always lvoe to see the Spotted Redshank as we rarely get them here. Baby swallows are gorgeous. Margaret

DeniseinVA said...

Another delightful post, your photos are great as are the birds you photograph. Thanks so much and wishing you a great week.

eileeninmd said...

I would never pick up a hitchhiker, especially now-a-days! Love the pretty Spotted Redshank and the Oystercatcher is always a favorite. The Egret is beautiful. Great post, Phil!

Kay L. Davies said...

Oh my goodness, the baby barn swallows are just too cute, Phil.
I received an e-mail this morning with an exterior and an interior photo of my friends' canal boat at its moorage in Yelvertoft, east of Rugby. It looks like an idyllic life until I think about rain in Britain. Your bird photos have the same effect on me: I find myself thinking "Oh, I want to do that" when, in reality, I most likely couldn't manage.
But it's nice to dream.
K

Bob Bushell said...

Oh yes, the Swallow chick is superb, thanks Phil.

grammie g said...

Hey Phil...Wow that Spotted Redshank is a eye crosser with that pattern of hi feathers!!
I think it would make a good jigsaw puzzle never mind a puzzle for inexperienced bird watcher! : )
Love the first photo of the little cutie-pie Barn Swallow ball of fluff!!
If I was hitch-hiking I wouldn't ride with you anyway...who know's where you might end up !!
Well of course there would be birds though, but let's not worry about that because you will never see hitch-hiking ...well if finances get bad I might have to put on a tight short skirt you get the picture hahaha ; )
How's the heat.
We had a cool down with some refreshing air , still 80ish but nice!!!
Your BFF
Grace

Christian Perrin said...

Those Barn Swallows are lovely. Along with the swifts, they were always one of my favourite signs of summer when I lived in the UK.

Stuart Price said...

That is one scruffy looking Spotted Red!

Unknown said...

I'll say it again - I like the spotted, spotted Spotted Red!

Isa said...

bravo pour cette belle série !!

mick said...

A very interesting series of Sunday morning sitings. Cute baby swallows - very interesting Redshank - and I've just had some fun comparing your Pied Oystercatchers with ours here in Australia. Quite a few differences between them but the most outstanding seems to me the lack of a bright red eye ring on your birds.

Reader Wil said...

Like Kay, I also think the little barn swallow very cute. I wished I had your knowledge about birds. I am glad I now the various birds in my front yard, which is very small. We shoulld have the same birds in my country. So may be I come across some of the ones you mentioned.
Thanks for sharing!

Cynthia said...

What a dear, plump little barn swallow!

Unknown said...

Great shot of the Barn Swallow!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

TexWisGirl said...

the swallows are so cute and fluffed up. :)

Findlay Wilde said...

I really like the first picture of the Barn Swallow best. From Findlay

Nette Cecilia said...

Many great photos ,my favorite oyesterncatcher you have too

Hootin Anni said...

The Barn swallows here have a rich caramel brown breast...I like what you've shared. Unique.

theconstantwalker said...

Wonderful images... a lovely post

Karen said...

Nice shots Phil, love the wee barn swallows!

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

What a lovely collection of birds and I gather from your conversation that there are many there year round. You certainly are in a good place to be a bird blogger. My favorites are the young Barn Swallows ... especially the first, all puffied up. They are slightly different than our Barn Swallows, but, I am guessing their behavior is the same and they are always welcome, especially when the mosquitos are around. Very nice post ... my first visit here. I enjoyed it ...

Andrea @ From The Sol

Carole M. said...

...great post Phil, but it was the barn swallow that did me over

Stewart M said...

The swallows do have a freshly minted sort of look to them - and the Spotted R/S is a nice bird.

Cheers and thanks for the link to WBW - Stewart M - Melbourne

Arija said...

A great bag for a Sunday morning. Love those little swallows.

Unknown said...

The egret is beautiful and the swallows are adorable.

Huldra said...

Beautiful birds. The swallows are so sweet and chubby :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails