Monday, February 27, 2012

It's Late

On Sunday I got hindered by other tasks in posting on the blog so saved it until today. Nothing much to report except that the morning was grey and miserable, so rather than birding or trying to take photographs with a 400mm in poor light I spent a couple of hours ringing in the garden. It was pretty unexciting but a couple of surprise birds turned up in the catch of 8 birds.

After two cold winters in 2010 and 2011 the population of our smallest UK bird the Goldcrest must be fairly low, but luckily when two flitted about the damson trees it was only a matter of a few minutes before one found the net, 5 grams of feathers and not much else.

Goldcrest

Also fairly scarce around here at the moment are Greenfinches, their population still suffering due to the effects of the Trichomonosis virus, so it is heartening to say that not only I have heard a few “gringos” singing recently, but they have also joined in with the Goldfinches in visiting garden feeders. Just one caught, a colourful first winter male.

Greenfinch

Other birds caught: 2 Great Tit and 1 each of Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Dunnock and Wren.

Chaffinch

Dunnock

Great Tit

10 comments:

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Good early morn to you Phil. Hmmm, have I seen a Dunnock on here before...really a nice little bird. I love the look you captured in the beautiful eye of the Greenfinch. When disease hits an area of songbirds, it is heart wrenching, and yet to witness the first signs of a comeback, now that would be heartwarming. Here is hoping that their numbers continue to soar. Happy Monday, Happy week~

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Oh, sorry, forgot to say something about the wee little Goldcrest...is it not just amazing how such a wee bird, with mostly only feathers can survive harsh winter conditions...and I in my 3 layers of clothing, a wool coat, possibly even a boiled wool sweater before that, heavy socks and a pair of cords and then nice heavy winter boots, and still, I remain cold...that sweet little bird!!!

Choy Wai Mun said...

The Goldcrest is such a smart bird.

grammie g said...

Hey Phil...Hindered...hmmm a word that covers a lot of possibilities!!!
Backyard birding finds like the Goldcrest is good ...tiny little thing ..how did he not get through the net...you have never showed us a net have you???
I wouldn't want to get caught in that net and have somebody like you hold me up like a prize by my "little feet" hahahaha!!
I have not seen a Red Poll all winter...and I remember last winter there being some kind of a disease they got from unclean feeders...I wonder if that might be why!!
Well I hope today your having a good bird walk...and I have a Flying Squirrel on my post so if you have no hindrances fly by!!; }
Grace

Ayuwat Jearwattanakanok said...

I just love the Goldcrest! It'd be so nice to be able to see it more often...

Millhouse Photography said...

Yes, I agree, great to see and hear the 'gringos'! Seen a couple myself in the garden this Feb, only a couple though.

eileeninmd said...

Lovely birds in your yard. The Goldcrest is beautiful and looks similar to our Golden Crowned Kinglet. Wonderful photos. Have a great day!

madibirder said...

I can see why it is called a Goldcrest, A beauty.

Unknown said...

It's been a very quiet Winter in our garden, very little ringed. We're looking forward to the breeding season already!

Stuart Price said...

We have Goldcrests here as well, I haven't seen any this winter though, usually they are pretty common, perhaps the nasty winter 2011/12 has reduced the Hokkaido population too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails