Thursday, December 24, 2009

Snow Birds

Another 4 inches of overnight snow on top of previous ice is most unusual for the Fylde and not a good recipe for birding. So, do some pre-Xmas jobs and gain the corresponding Brownie points, then practice some photography in the snow and grey light seemed the best option. No point in my trying to bulk out the pictures with superfluous words about common garden birds. Just enjoy.


Mistle Thrush


Mistle Thrush


Jay


Chaffinch


Blue Tit


Collared Dove


Collared Dove


Blackbird


Blackbird


Blackbird


Please look in again after Christmas.

4 comments:

Pete Woodruff said...

Another excellent 'Gallery' Phil and will certainly be looking in again after Christmas which I hope you enjoy and perhaps will even be a merry one......Hic!

Stuart Price said...

Some great close-ups there.

My parents once got snowed in near Poulton at a relatives one christmas whilst I had been left at home in Preston (I had chicken pox). That's the last really heavy snow I can recall in the area.........it would have been 1981 or 1982?

it was scary in the house at night on my own ( I was about 12). But I did see Tree Sparrows and a Meadow Pipit in the garden the next morning..........

Ayuwat Jearwattanakanok said...

Love the Mistle Thrush shots.
Birds in snow is always interesting to photograph...but the snow has left my area now and it's started to rain once again. I'm so...so tired of rain right now, it's been raining too much this year.

Phil Slade said...

Hi Chaps.Thanks to all of you for looking in today.
Pete,Hope you enjoyed your Xmas day.Hope to see you in the New Year when you are mobile again.
SCE. It was 1981 or 1982 when we we lived in Poulton, remember sitting in the lounge and suddenly seeing people walking past in the snow who had abandoned their cars on Garstang Rd.
Unravel, Like you I am tired of rain but we are now on the right side of the season, soon be spring.
Thanks everyone. All the best and good birding and blogging. Phil

Related Posts with Thumbnails